Monday, February 28, 2011

What a Fool I Am

The song Que parva que sou (What a fool I am) by the band Deolinda has become the youth anthem of the crisis in Portugal.

Some choice quotes:
"I'm from the living-at-home generation...
"In order to be a slave, you have to study...
"If I'm lucky, I can intern...
"And there's always somebody worse off than me on TV...

(English subtitles)


(alternative English subtitles--take your pick)


(Portuguese subtitles)



Sou da geração sem remuneração
E nem me incomoda esta condição
Que parva que eu sou!
Porque isto está mau e vai continuar
Já é uma sorte eu poder estagiar
Que parva que eu sou!
E fico a pensar,
Que mundo tão parvo
Onde para ser escravo é preciso estudar


Sou da geração "casinha dos pais",
Se já tenho tudo, p'ra quê querer mais?
Que parva que eu sou
Filhos, marido, estou sempre a adiar
E ainda me falta o carro pagar
Que parva que eu sou!

E fico a pensar,
Que mundo tão parvo
Onde para ser escravo é preciso estudar

Sou da geração "‘vou queixar-me pra quê?"
Há alguém bem pior do que eu na TV
Que parva que eu sou!
Sou da geração "eu já não posso mais!’"

Que esta situação dura há tempo demais
E parva eu não sou!
E fico a pensar,
Que mundo tão parvo
Onde para ser escravo é preciso estudar

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious... kind of. Were you guys at the show?

    Finally catching up on some of your posts. Looks like you're all having a fabulous and fascinating time.

    Just finished Cloud Atlas last night and looking forward to discussing when you return.

    Ethan got Zeke's letter and I'm sure he would respond except that writing a letter is something he only vaguely understands, conceptually.

    But he's also looking forward to Zeke's return so he can discuss in person.

    See you all soon. Keep up the great posts.

    ReplyDelete